The 1988 Input-Output Survey of Establishments
The 1988 Input-Output Survey of Establishments (IOSE) was designed primarily to provide additional and detailed information required in the preparation of the 1988 Interindustry (Input-Output) Accounts of the Philippines. It was conducted as a supplemental activity of the 1988 Census of Establishments (CE). The 1988 CE listing of respondent-establishment was used as the frame in the selection of the IOSE samples. The sampling unit was the establishment. To carry out and attain the objectives of this survey, five (5) sets of questionnaires were designed, one for each of the following sectoral groups: 1) Agriculture and Forestry, 2) Fishery, 3) Mining, Manufacturing and Electricity, Gas & Water, 4) Construction, and 5) Non-Industrial Services. For the effective implementation of the survey, field personnel of the National Statistics Office (NSO), who also conducted the 1988 Census of Establishments from which this survey was based, were contracted to personally deliver and collect the specially designed questionnaires. Findings showed that the average revenue per establishment amounted to PhP 142.7 million, and the average employment reached 253 persons per establishment. The total revenue from principal goods and services amounted to PhP 194,116 million representing about 94.7 percent of the global total revenue of PhP 204,905 million. The remaining 5.3 percent came as secondary products. Expenditures for raw materials and supplies also accounted for about three-fifths of the total cost.